Nelnet, a leader in the student loan industry with a #1 core value of focusing on the customer, seeks a caring, creative, and motivated person to join its Accessibility Team as an Accessibility Architect. The Accessibility Team collaborates with innovative product teams throughout Nelnet to ensure compliance with accessibility standards and to provide superior customer experiences for everyone. Nelnet takes pride in its awesome work environment for associates, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work remotely from a home office, if desired.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as an auditing, consulting, and training resource to all Nelnet product teams.
- Collaborating with IT staff to ensure compliance and improve the accessibility of Nelnet's products.
- Administering accessibility evaluations, primarily for web and mobile apps, and providing recommendations for solutions.
- Mentoring/coaching developers, designers, testers, and other stakeholders on how to apply accessibility principles.
- Building strong relationships with FSA/ED and other business partners during accessibility audits and other related activities.
- Working with third-party vendors to ensure procurement of accessible products.
- Creating and updating accessibility learning resources.
- Developing and providing presentations on digital accessibility topics for a wide variety of audiences.
- Providing guidance to IT staff on how to leverage accessibility tools and assistive technology during product design, development, and testing.
- Maintaining the Nelnet accessibility strategic plan.
- Facilitating Nelnet's accessibility leadership subcommittee, accessibility forums, and other related meetings.
- Staying informed about emerging web, mobile, assistive, and information technologies and accessibility solutions.
Familiarity and working knowledge of the following is desired:
- Disability law, as it applies to digital accessibility.
- WCAG 2.0/2.1 and Section 504/508.
- Universal and inclusive design principles.
- Common accessibility evaluation tools, e.g. aXe and WAVE.
- Screen readers. (Such as NVDA, JAWS, VoiceOver, and TalkBack.)
- Other assistive technologies. (Such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking and ZoomText.)
Experience with the following is a plus:
- PDF accessibility, especially experience with Acrobat and/or LiveCycle/AEM remediation.
- Mobile accessibility.
- Email accessibility.
This position requires work in support of the Company’s contract with the United States Department of Education (“ED”). As such, the United States Government requires that any applicant for this position must complete United States Government security clearance. Effective June 1, 2018, ED has informed Nelnet that security clearance applications for foreign nationals are not being accepted or processed. In light of this direction from ED, Nelnet will be unable to hire applicants without United States citizenship for such positions.